Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Liverpool Scenario


I am not a Kopper. But I feel for my Liverpool supporter friends. They did not qualify for the Champions League, they were involved in court cases, star players left and their league position leaves them in the bottom 2. This is not Liverpool at all. They were the best team in England with players like Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, John Barnes and PHIL BABB!

But for me, the core of this failure, dates way back during Rafa's time. No doubt he was the one who guided Liverpool as the European champions, but he have made some silly signings. He bought Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant, Andrea Dossena, Fernando Morientes, Lucas and Ryan Babel. He also failed to sign good backups for each position, hence I think their European success are based on fitness. They were lucky to have most players availabe for the final! Imagine, if there were no Gerrard, Carragher, Xabi, Luiz Garcia and Dudek in the final. Their failure to have depth in their team has finally proved costly for them. I think that is their problem. And when Roy Hodgson came in, he bought the likes of Konchensky, Poulsen, Meireles, Joe Cole and Jovanovic. I think the later two are class players, but Hodgson doesnt seem to rate them both, and as a result, they were often thrown as benchwarmers. But Konchesky as 1st choice LB for a team of Liverpool's caliber? Hmm, I doubt that.

So it would be interesting to see how Hodgson will shape his team come January. Obviously, Liverpool need someone who could partner Torres or perhaps push Torres to the limit. Right now, they rely on Ngog, whom I think is a good player, but not quite ready yet to fill in Torres shoes whenever he is out injured. The midfield too needs rebuffing. It was a mistake to let go Xabi Alonso 2 seasons ago, then they let Mascherano leave. They never learn. Look at them now. Who do they rely on now, to marshall the midfield? Lucas? Meireles? Poulson? Shelvey???? I think both Meireles and Poulson need time to adept, but Lucas is just shite! Liverpool have a history of having good holding midfielders, namely Ronny Whelan, Ditmar Hamman, Xabi and Mascherano. Now? LUCAS! Oh my! So there u go, come January I hope Liverpool will be able to sign 2 more strikers, 1 holding mf and a host of good backups. Its either that, of fight for the drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment